Cleaning your teeth properly involves being mindful with your technique and using the right equipment. When you take the time to brush pearly whites properly, you are effectively protecting your teeth (and gums) from tooth decay and gum disease. Dr. J. Brandon Allen and our Bullard Family Dentistry team in Bullard, Texas, are pleased to offer you some brushing tips to help ensure your healthy smile.
- Make sure the brush you use is the right size for your mouth, you want to make sure it fits comfortably in your hand and in your mouth.
- Use the softest bristle’s you can to get the job done. Hard bristles combined with strenuous brushing can wear down tooth enamel and cause your gums to recede.
- Brush at least twice a day for two minutes each time, but no more than three times a day. It’s also important to use gentle brushstrokes as you clean.
- As you brush, don’t saw side-to-side as this can damage the gum line. Hold your brush at a 45-degree angle and use short up-and-down strokes to clean.
- While you are cleaning your teeth, go ahead and brush your tongue, the molars in the back of your mouth and all the sides of your tooth surfaces to remove harmful bacteria.
- Tooth whitening or tartar control toothpaste can be harsh on enamel over time. Conversely, fluoride toothpaste helps protect enamel and if you have sensitive teeth, desensitizing toothpaste helps protect those pearly whites.
- Beverages like coffee, diet sodas, fruit juices and energy drinks all have acid that softens tooth enamel. If you like these drinks, wait at least 20 minutes before brushing your teeth. This allows your saliva to remineralize your enamel before you brush, which protects your teeth.
- Because moist brushes can grow bacteria, store your toothbrush upright without touching surfaces (such as countertops, other toothbrushes, etc.) so it can air dry in between uses.
- Replace your toothbrush every three months to four months, or whenever the bristles fray. Frayed bristles can’t clean your teeth effectively.
Cleaning your healthy smile properly is one of the easiest things you can do to maintain your smile confidence. Brushing and flossing daily, along with routine teeth cleanings are your mouth’s best allies. If you would like to boost your smile for the holidays, please call 903-710-2309 today. Dr. J. Brandon Allen and our team at Bullard Family Dentistry in Bullard, Texas, wish you a healthy and happy holiday season!